The My School DC post-lottery application period is now open.
Choose a school that fits your student.
Returning to the old normal in a post-pandemic world may not be the best fit for your child’s education. If your student thrived in the online environment, consider a tuition-free* online school in Washington, D.C. Students in grades TK–8 experience a personalized academic plan that targets their strengths and addresses weaknesses, helping them build competencies in core subject areas.
Distance learning over the past year has revealed the benefits of online learning for students and families. The abrupt switch to distance learning also revealed the importance of attending an online school with experienced instructors and staff members. K12 has been powering high quality online education for students for over 20 years and has served over one million students. Learn more about the online school in Washington, D.C., and how K12 can help your student reach their full potential.
Is online school in Washington, D.C., like traditional school?
In many ways, yes. The online school in Washington, D.C., powered by K12 is full-time, tuition-free,* and follows a traditional academic calendar. Students are taught by Washington, D.C.-licensed teachers trained in online instruction, study the same core academic subjects as their peers in brick and mortar, and graduate with a diploma recognized by colleges and employers across the country.
A key difference is that K12 curriculum is built for virtual learning. Other differences between traditional schooling and the K12-powered online school in Washington, D.C., are the personalized learning experience and the convenience of learning wherever there’s an internet connection.
What can my child expect in an online school in Washington, D.C., powered by K12?
Each student begins their education experience with a personalized academic plan that targets their strengths and addresses weaknesses. Washington, D.C.-licensed teachers tailor teaching to each student’s needs. Day-to-day learning differs by grade, but generally includes:
- Scheduled, live online classes with teachers and fellow students.
- Support from the student’s Learning Coach, a parent or another responsible adult, who plays an active role to keep students on track with assignments and coursework. Extensive tools and resources set each Learning Coach up for success, so their involvement is planned and necessary rather than chaotic and unclear.
- Social opportunities that bring students together across shared interests. Your student won’t sacrifice social opportunities by making the full-time transition to online learning.
Online curriculum is mastery based and includes hands-on learning opportunities away from the computer.
As students advance, they begin to monitor their own learning schedule. The curriculum includes online lessons and various levels of hands-on learning depending on the grade level and course.
How do I know if online school in Washington, D.C., is a good fit for my student?
Maybe your student thrived in an online environment or maybe they struggled in the beginning but found a good groove. Maybe the change to a virtual environment helped your family rediscover priorities or shift your idea of what a valuable educational experience means for your student.
K12 has always known the importance of helping students thrive at their own pace, empowering parents to be more involved in their child’s education, and powering an education that’s not one-size-fits-all.
Students enrolled in the Washington, D.C., online school powered by K12 experience engaging courses, caring teachers, and a vibrant school community. The individually tailored education experience helps them capitalize on strengths, work on weaknesses, and explore their interests.
Your family has learned, grown, and embraced the “out with the old and in with the new” way of learning. K12 meets families at the intersection of students fulfilling their potential, families focusing on togetherness, and the flexibility we could all use a little more of.
Schools Available for Washington, D.C. Students
Reach your full potential with a high-quality, virtual public charter school dedicated to providing an innovative educational environment for students in grades K–8.
- Be part of D.C.'s only virtual charter school.
- Accelerate your learning with advancement for gifted students
- Jump-start your career with exploration courses for grades 6–8.
Achieve a quality, personalized, private education through our engaging, interactive K12 curriculum and a dedicated, supportive team of teachers and advisors. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Accelerate your learning with dual enrollment, early college, AP®, and NCAA-approved courses.
- Jump-start your future with career and college prep, including career-focused electives beginning in 6th grade.
- Learn at your pace with year-round start dates enrolling full-time, part-time, and individual courses.
Achieve academic excellence while developing your Christian character and finding your life's purpose in a faith-based, supportive environment. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Integrate a Christian worldview into your life—the classroom and beyond—through our Servant Learner framework.
- Develop your character and grow in your faith through in-person activities at faith centers in select cities.
- Participate in weekly faith groups and chapel services to connect with other students who share your beliefs.
Are you an independent learner seeking a highly flexible education? With more than 40 years of experience in self-paced distance learning, reach your potential any time, year-round. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Accelerate your learning with 170+ self-paced courses with multiple levels, including honors and AP®.
- Earn college credits while still in high school with dual enrollment.
- Assure your future—we awarded 771 high school diplomas in 2022, with 99.4% of students reporting college acceptance.
Are you a highly motivated learner? Earn a premier, private college preparatory education online and get the tools to excel at top-tier universities. Affiliated with The George Washington University.
- Jump-start your future with one-to-one college counseling and unique dual enrollment opportunities.
- Prepare for life outside the classroom with our Journeys symposium.
- Unlock your future—100% of graduates are accepted to college, from Harvard to UC Berkeley.
Reach your full potential with an inclusive, engaging curriculum and the tools and guidance to be a successful global citizen. Tuition-free private school for Arizona students through the Empowerment Scholarship.
- Graduate trilingual with our Early World Language Program.
- Get access to seminar-based instruction with a collaborative, discussion-focused approach
- Graduate with your associate's degree with our dual enrollment program.
*Families do not pay tuition for a student to attend an online public school. Common household items and office supplies like printer ink and paper are not provided. Our enrollment consultants can help you address your technological and computer needs.